Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Poetry Analysis: "Stop the Violence" by Diva Hunter-Payne

STOP THE VIOLENCE
By Diva Hunter-Payne (17 years old), Massachusetts
Originally written for and performed at Teen Voices’ Poetically Speaking 2011 event.

Art by Chantal Feitosa (15 years old), New York


I look around and what do I see?
I see our young people killing one another out on the streets
We’re forgetting our black leaders fought for us to have peace.
Segregation, disjunction, manipulation, AND MORE AND MORE DEVASTATION!
No wonder why our kids are losing motivation.
Tell me what is this world coming to? Am I just being wise or am I being a fool?
Come on ya’ll, speak to me because I’m speaking to you! I really want this dream to come true.
When is this violence gonna end?
But if truth be told, we don’t even know where to begin.
True, we have all these “STOP THE VIOLENCE EVENTS”
But are we just doing this for pretend?
Because at the end
People leave out the same way they came in.
Listen fathers, to your children’s frustration
I’m using this poem as a form of communication
Less violence if family show kids more LOVE and dedication
NO MORE VIOLENCE and less altercations
I don’t believe in any violent inhabitations
I trust God to fix any situation
It’s clear someone new is dying from violence every single day
But when are we gonna take a stand AS A PEOPLE and say “Na, this is not okay.”
Kids turning to gangbanging
They don’t got no mother or father figure
Is that their excuse to press a TRIGGER?
Males putting their hands on females and treating them as toys…
No wonder why you got girls trying to be boys.
Mothers and fathers fighting in front of their children –
Is that why we have unnecessary killing?
I believe that us as blacks
When we were being attacked
It was THEN, we had one another’s back!
What happened to FIGHT THE POWER?
LOVE and embrace each and every hour!
Bring back PEACE in our streets!!!
Bring back UNITY in our community!!!
Stop hating one another
Hey, we’re supposed to be sisters and brothers!
Damn!!
I HATE this violence!
Damn!!
Listen killer
I’m talking to you killer
Who are you to take someone else’s life?
But it’s not me it’s YOU who is going to be paying the price
The messed up things that you’re doing is not cool or alright
Do you think about the life you took?
ANSWER ME, you messed up crook
Do you think about the family your victim is leaving behind?
Come on killer I want to know what’s in YOUR mind
Our kids are dying before their time
If you ask me that is a HUGE crime
So when you ask me to look around and what do I see
I see nothing but violence out on the streets
But check it – I don’t get mad though.
Cuz at the end of the day, there’s still HOPE.


No comments:

Post a Comment